Diversity, equity and inclusion, or DEI is an established human resource component or initiative in most global workplaces. Every single project has diversity. Teams are global and divers in culture, gender, physical ability, language and many other factors. DEI initiatives work towards establishing equitable and psychologically safe workplace which is a practise element in Agile teams.
Cultural awareness is one of the most important competences of a project leaders.
Components of diversity awareness and cultural competencies:
- Be mindful of individual and team aims and working relationships.
- Use a leadership approach and style that best suits the situation and the stakeholders.
- Understand that motivations and working styles of individuals and groups vary based on experiences, age, culture, job roles, and other influences.
- Projects with diverse locations, industries, stakeholders, and cultures require communication and openness to build trust
Source: PMI® Authorized PMP® Exam Prep Course
Cultural awareness has several benefits, including:
- Improved communication.Understanding different cultures can help to communicate more effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Better relationships. Being aware of cultural differences helps in building stronger, more respectful relationships with people from other cultures.
- Increased empathy. Understanding and appreciating different cultures can help to develop empathy and compassion for others.
- Greater flexibility. Being culturally aware can help in navigating unfamiliar situations and adapting to new environments more easily.
- Improved problem-solving. Cultural awareness can help you approach problems and conflicts from different perspectives, leading to more creative and effective solutions.
- Better decision making. Having a better understanding of cultural context helps in improving decision-making by taking into account the cultural nuances of the problem or situation.
- Enhanced creativity. Being aware of different cultures improves creativity and generating new ideas.
- Greater competitiveness. Being culturally aware can give you an edge in a globalized world by helping you understand and connect with diverse customers, employees, and partners.